Finding the right property generally takes a lot of time, effort, and study. Most contemporary rental markets include keyword search together with filters and geosearch to do this. These search strategies, however, are ineffective if potential renters are only browsing or are unsure of precisely what they want.
Imagine if users could converse with the search bar in the same way that they do with ChatGPT and get results that exactly meet their requirements. It would be similar to speaking with a buddy who is fully aware of what they are searching for.
Algorithms for natural language processing and search driven by AI do this. In this post, we examine the workings of this process and look at AI search from both a user’s and a technological standpoint.
Conventional Real Estate Search Methods and Their Drawbacks
The majority of booking websites and real estate portals, including Booking.com and Airbnb, use geosearch in addition to faceted search (filters and sorting) and keywords.
Keyword search, similar to utilizing a book index, attempts to closely match user queries with website content, while filtering includes swiping through property criteria.
These search algorithms are simple and well-known to consumers, but they may not necessarily work well in the real estate industry. For instance, there are clear disadvantages with keyword search:
- Lack of context. Rarely does a keyword search comprehend the context, which might result in incorrect interpretations of the question and inappropriate results. For example, the word “flat” in real estate might refer to an apartment, a feature, or informal price, which could provide results that are not relevant.
- limited comprehension of the user’s intentions. It could not adjust properly to variations in user intent during a single search session, which might result in incorrect results. In this manner, if you searched for “London parks” and then chose to “park in London,” you are probably going to see more green areas rather than parking lots.
- Not enough answers for lengthy searches. Remarkably, the query may fail as well if the user wanted to add more information after learning a lesson. Long-tail or very detailed searches could not provide reliable answers since the algorithm will have difficulty matching the user’s exact keyword combination. It seems that not all of your demands for a “three-bedroom family house Virginia parking garage” will be met by the search results.
- unwillingness to comprehend linguistic nuances. Keyword searches could miss pertinent material since they don’t take synonyms, other spellings, or word variants into consideration. Punctuation may also be problematic if it is ambiguous or has several meanings, since this might result in irrelevant outcomes. Thus, search results for “2 bathrooms house Dallas” and “two-bathroom house Dallas” may vary significantly.
- Depending on how good the query is. The precision and focus of the keywords have a significant impact on the caliber of the search results. When searching for information, users who utilize imprecise, confusing, or nonspecific phrases may encounter difficulties. When it comes to keyword search, finding the golden mean between conciseness and clarity is essential, but it may be challenging to do so.
Conversely, filters and sorting suffer from the following shortcomings:
- restricted adaptability. The user of filter search is limited to selecting properties from the marketplace that fall into pre-established categories. In this sense, the options for customization and personalization are restricted. The inability to immediately add custom filters implies that the user must go through a long list in order to find the right ones, which takes extra time and effort to find.
- manual, demanding, and exhausting. You may have to spend a lot of time reading through possibilities on marketplaces due to the wide range of filters available. This may make the process of finding your ideal rental home tiresome, drawn out, and uninteresting.
What is Natural Language Search?
Instead of processing questions in the form of predefined filters or particular keywords, natural language search is driven by artificial intelligence. When employing natural language search, users may speak or type their query in using ordinary language, and the AI search engine for real estate will utilize sophisticated language processing algorithms to understand the meaning and context of the question and provide the most relevant results.
- NLP search makes use of cutting-edge deep learning and natural language processing technology to comprehend conversational-style query writing. In contrast to other antiquated forms of search, nlp for real estate comprehends keywords, context, and the purpose behind the search, allowing it to provide the most relevant results.
- In a straightforward conversational style, the user types the inquiry into an AI property search chat. For instance, “I need to rent a long-term, comfortable apartment in Paris that is in a quiet and safe neighborhood; the price range should be between $40 and $70.” per day, and I can check in at any time. The apartments should also be non-smoking and worthy of Instagram.”
- The AI-powered chat (OpenAI’s AI Completion model) recognizes the query’s essential needs and keywords automatically, including location, budget, preferred facilities, and any other preferences. After converting user input to fit the system’s filtering choices, the AI Completion model recommends a search function and related filters. Apart from recognizing formal keywords such as “location” (Paris), “duration” (long-term), or “price” ($40–70), the system can comprehend and convert semantically related expressions into filters. For instance, the formal filtering criterion “kitchen” will be created from the user request “with a possibility to cook,” and this condition will then be used in the amenities field.
- AI Search applies the filters and reduces the number of matching characteristics when the function is invoked. The hybrid AI property search, which combines Full Text and Vector in Azure Cognitive Search, is used to find the remaining properties. In the event that the user inputs text that is not captured by one of the filters, AI Cognitive Search will be used to evaluate the text query and identify the most similar semantic search result using natural language processing. As a result, properties having comparable meanings as well as those containing the text query’s keywords are identified. For instance, homes with “modern and minimalist design” will also appear in the search results if the user searches for “sleek contemporary aesthetics.”
- Following the first phase of natural language search, the search results are obtained and sorted according to how relevant they are to the customer’s inquiry. Artificial intelligence (AI) in real estate finds the results that most closely match the user’s search intent and presents them, beginning with the most relevant and moving down to the least relevant or uninteresting.
- The user has the option to make changes as they rank and examine the results if they believe that any additional features are necessary. It is also possible to remove the criteria that were previously specified, for example, to ignore the prices of the properties or add “cleaning” to amenities that are desired. AI-powered chat leverages the whole conversation history in addition to the most current input whenever the user modifies their search parameters to provide the best results and a better understanding of the context.
- The chat keeps track of previous user inquiries and changes made to the original request so that it can better grasp the context. As a consequence, during a single chat session, the semantic search LLM system may identify methods to enhance the search results and make them more relevant for a particular user. NLP for real estate agents enhances and personalizes the results in a single search session, as demonstrated by the Appic Softwares AI property search example. This means that the final results are the most appropriate for the user’s needs and preferences, and if the user changes their mind about the property and wants to start over, they can simply refresh the page and start a new search.
The Fundamentals: Natural Language Search Flow
The user’s perspective was used to explain the real estate AI search procedure in the preceding section. The procedure is powerful, quick, and convenient. But what goes on behind closed doors in an apparently simple process? Several crucial phases are included in the backstage algorithms:
The chat receives the user’s input (search query) and responds with a chat message that often clarifies the search parameters.
User messages are routed by the server to the ChatGPT completion model, which has the ability to recommend a function call. In other words, depending on the user’s input, the server requests that the GPT model suggest or propose a certain action or operation be carried out. For instance, the GPT model would initially recommend the function “searchProperties,” which is in charge of looking for and producing a list of properties, if the user began the query “I need a property.”
- Next is the server validation phase. The server verifies that the recommended function, “searchProperties,” is suitable for the search query and secure to run.
- The GPT model suggests a function, which is carried out by the server. The GPT model generates a search request, which is handled by Azure Cognitive Search.
The user receives and views search results in a chat message.
Below is a more thorough explanation and illustration of the natural language search pipeline that incorporates a number of different technologies, including Azure OpenAI and Azure Cognitive Search:
- Request from User. For instance, the user may submit a request over chat, saying, “Hey, please find me a luxury apartment in New York with Wi-Fi and TV for $200 per day.”
- Configuration of the System. The chat history and settings are retrieved by the system from the database. The configuration outlines guidelines for system operation, characterizes system behavior, establishes limitations, and explains the search’s anticipated outcome.
- OpenAI Integration with Azure. Azure OpenAI receives this data and uses it to construct the subsequent search request based on the function definition settings.
Text Conversion: Integrating the generation. After processing the query text and breaking it down into its main keywords, the system converts the text into a vector representation, a process known as embedding.
- Cognitive Search on Azure. This search query is sent to Azure Cognitive Search in the form of vectors. At this point, a semantic search occurs, when the system examines the query’s keyword combination in an effort to comprehend the context and relationships between the terms.
- Storage of Context. To make it simpler to revisit a prior search query and get more relevant results, all of the user’s queries from a single search session are kept in the database.
- Display of Results. Both the conversation and the map display the search results for the user.
- Panel for Filters. The online application displays the filters that were created throughout the search process, allowing the user to modify them by eliminating those that may no longer be applicable. In the event that this is done, the system directly requests the new filter from Azure Cognitive Search.
- Modification of Query. If necessary, the consumer may use the chat app to add specifics to their original inquiry after obtaining the results. In this instance, the search procedure is repeated, and based on the modifications made, the system learns and looks for more relevant data.
Natural Language Search Tool: Structure
- A gateway service, which serves as a central coordinator or mediator to control the flow of communication between various system components, is the primary component of the architecture. It coordinates communication between the AI services for search, embedding, and conversation completion, the client application, and persistent storage. In order to provide the best possible backend for system administration and to give NLP real estate search results in a timely manner, Appic Softwares employed NestJS.
- The AI for real estate interface that the user directly interacts with during the search is called the user interface, often referred to as the client application. It establishes the level of convenience of the search procedure. The ReactJS-built web-based chat interface that the Appic Softwares team used allows users to input messages and get answers with pertinent results and property locations.
- Using persistent storage, data may be saved and later retrieved from the storage system in response to user input or AI search engine results. In order to maximize the relevancy of search results, it is in charge of storing the search query and recalling any data entered by the user. A gateway service is also used to assist organize this element. Mongo Atlas was utilized for these reasons by the Appic Softwares team.
- Any web application must have the previously listed components. But first, these components set the stage for the magic of real estate AI natural language search. In order to do semantic search nlp, vector embeddings are first created using the OpenAI embedding paradigm. Converting textual or other sorts of data into a numerical vector form is called “generating embeddings.” To put it another way, embedding generation is the act of converting human language into a collection of easier-to-process numbers for the program. Embeddings are used to better grasp the relationship between words, context, etc. by capturing semantic information about the user’s query.
- By comprehending user intent, context, and content semantics, Azure Cognitive Search Service delivers more precise and contextually appropriate results. Natural language comprehension, semantic search, customization, sentiment analysis-based content enrichment, support for several data types, faceted search for improved results, and machine learning integration for ongoing development are some of its key characteristics.
The task of analyzing the user’s query and producing a search function based on it falls to the OpenAI completion model. The Appic Softwares development team, for example, chose Azure OpenAI gpt4-32k, which has improved capabilities for optimizing NLP real estate overall, can create natural language, and is designed for chat answers. It also supports longer context duration.
What Benefits Can Natural Language Search Offer Renters on Marketplaces?
While AI for real estate brokers improves the selling and renting process, natural language search makes browsing on rental property platforms enjoyable and simple for the user.
Potential tenants or buyers of real estate type “rent a house near me with three bedrooms” or “find a $700K home for sale in New Jersey with a backyard” into the search bar rather than sifting through a variety of filters like state, city, house type, number of bedrooms, or other necessary amenities.
Despite its apparent simplicity, natural language search provides much higher-quality query results retrieval and ranking. Beyond necessities like toilets and bedrooms, purchasers could take into account a variety of other amenities tailored to their particular way of life. A natural language search engine simplifies the drawn-out and taxing process of house seeking, revolutionizing the home purchasing experience. It is a simple, up-to-date method of searching that provides pertinent results in an organized, transparent manner.
Finding houses that are highly customized for the lifestyle and particular requirements of the renter is made possible by AI search. In addition to using pre-established filters, users may converse with the search engine as they would a friend or personal assistant. The most relevant results may be obtained by inquiring about a “house for a family of three with a big master bedroom, two bathrooms, close to the city center, and with parking.”
The natural language search function scans millions of listing information to provide relevant results, analyzing the context and relationship between users’ queries to deliver such an amazing experience. Concurrently, the feature is used to train machine learning models, enhancing their capacity to proficiently address search questions in organic and human-sounding words.
How Else Can Rental Platforms Benefit from AI?
Real estate AI for markets is not limited to natural language search. At the start of their marketplace trip, users may find their way around with the aid of AI-powered marketplace search. But rental platforms may also utilize AI in a number of other ways to improve customer experience and expedite processes.
- Utilizing Property Information. In order to provide consumers with more individualized experiences and better suggestions, AI algorithms may be employed to evaluate and comprehend property data, such as reviews or descriptions. AI in markets may provide a more customized experience for the user, increasing convenience and enjoyment.
- Sentiment Interpretation. By using sentiment analysis techniques, property owners and rental platform managers may assess client satisfaction levels and identify areas for improvement by measuring user comments and reviews. By identifying the mood of readers based on their writing style, artificial intelligence (AI) for markets may quickly identify bottlenecks in the real estate industry and provide solutions for current issues.
- Chatbots that combine search with generative AI. Chatbots may be powered by generative AI and natural language search models to provide automated and intelligent round-the-clock customer care, helping users discover the information they need and increasing user engagement. In this manner, generative AI will aid with typical questions, troubleshooting, and support, enhancing customer happiness and response times.
- Creation of Images. In addition to text, generative AI for markets may generate visual outputs including blueprints, pictures, and other visuals. With the usage of this functionality, users may better grasp the size, position, and dimensions of the property and preview possible adjustments before making judgments. For property purchasers who want to know where the closet or shelves may be placed or how furniture could be arranged in a certain space, real estate AI is quite helpful.
- Building 3D Models from Floor Plans. Floor plans are often available on rental markets, allowing potential renters to thoroughly inspect the home. By building intricate 3D models of homes from floor plans, artificial intelligence for markets might improve this already excellent experience. This elevates the in-home buying experience to a whole new level and gives prospective renters or purchasers a thorough and immersive picture.
- Qualify Completion. Real estate algorithms and artificial intelligence (AI) may automatically fill in the blanks on a property, resulting in thorough and detailed listings. AI for markets could guarantee that the property has the required features, is listed in the appropriate category, and is properly described.
- Creation of Property Descriptions. Automating property descriptions using real estate AI is a game-changing prospect that can be integrated into markets. AI is capable of analyzing a given set of criteria and qualities and, using Natural Language Generation algorithms, creating textual descriptions of properties for rental markets that resemble those of a human being. This allows real estate agents or owners to focus their ideas on more critical or demanding jobs, saving time, effort, and creativity.
In the competitive real estate market, rental platforms may provide consumers a more customized and engaging experience while also streamlining their operations by integrating these AI-driven functions.
integrating natural language search into property portals offers a multitude of advantages, from improved user experience to streamlined property discovery. Embracing this technology can significantly elevate the efficiency and user satisfaction levels within property search platforms.
Moreover, if you are looking for a company through which you can hire dedicated AI developers then you should check out Appic Softwares. We have an experienced team of developers who have helped clients across the globe with AI development.
So, what are you waiting for?