The initial version of Drupal 8 in 2015 required additional work for an upgrade. The process of migrating and updating the website took just as much time as starting from scratch, and adding content was an additional challenging undertaking. The concerns that businesses and developers had with the introduction of Drupal 9 are encapsulated in this problem statement. With the release of Drupal 10 in December 2022, things can be done quickly and updating is no longer a laborious hassle. thus, if you are looking for steps to prepare for Drupal migration, then you are at the right place.
It will please you to know that handling upgrades is now easier. Because it will be a Drupal Migration, the work needed to upgrade from Drupal 7 to Drupal 10 is similar to that of upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9. As such, the Drupal community will perceive updates differently, and a paradigm change toward updates being dependable and having a controlled development process will occur.
But if the modification makes things easier, then what’s the big deal? Why is updating or migrating still necessary? Let’s investigate!
Why Migrate/Upgrade to Drupal 10?
Released towards the end of 2022 was Drupal 10. This most recent version of Drupal can improve your user experience with a few important updates. Here are a few of the feature updates:
Symphony 5 or Symphony 6 will replace Symphony 4. Drupal is one of the numerous contemporary PHP apps that are built on the Symfony web application framework. Drupal 10 will bring an upgrade from the current Symfony 4 framework to either Symfony 5 or Symfony 6.
Drupal 10 gains a number of advantages from the Symfony 5 or 6 update, including enhanced security and performance. Since Symfony 5 and 6 are made to function with PHP versions that are more recent, Drupal 10 will be able to benefit from the latest features of PHP, such as improved security and performance.
New and enhanced features like a new HTTP client, support for PSR-18, and an enhanced debug toolbar are also included with Symfony 5 and 6. These functionalities can aid developers in creating web apps that are more reliable and expandable.
A noteworthy benefit of transitioning to Symfony 5 or 6 is enhanced interoperability with other PHP modules and frameworks. Developers will find it simpler to reuse code across several projects and to integrate Drupal 10 with other apps as a result.
PHP 8 will replace PHP 7 – Drupal is one of the online apps that can be created with PHP. PHP 7, which is the version currently in use, will be updated to PHP 8 in Drupal 10.
Drupal 10 offers various benefits from upgrading to PHP 8, such as enhanced security, enhanced performance, and additional capabilities. Drupal 10 will be able to manage more traffic and offer a better user experience because PHP 8 is intended to be quicker and more efficient than PHP 7.
In addition, PHP 8 includes several new technologies, such as the JIT (Just-in-Time) compiler, that can improve performance even more.
Better error reporting and improved support for cryptography are just two of the security enhancements in PHP 8 that can help stop security holes.
Use of new and enhanced PHP libraries and frameworks is one of the key benefits of switching to PHP 8. PHP 8 can be used with the latest versions of these libraries and frameworks to help developers create more dependable and scalable online applications.
We’re going to upgrade Composer 1 to Composer 2 – One tool for managing packages and dependencies in PHP applications—including Drupal—is a composer. Composer 1, which is currently in use, will be upgraded to Composer 2 in Drupal 10.
Drupal 10 offers a number of advantages when upgrading to Composer 2, including enhanced security and performance. Because Composer 2 is meant to be quicker and more effective than Composer 1, Drupal 10 will be able to manage packages and dependencies with less overhead.
Composer 2 also comes with a number of new features and improvements, like enhanced management of dependency conflicts and greater support for parallel installation. With these enhancements, developers may more effectively manage packages and dependencies while lowering the possibility of errors and conflicts.
A further benefit of updating to Composer 2 is improved interoperability with other PHP frameworks and libraries. These libraries and frameworks have been updated, and they are now compatible with Composer 2, which can help developers create more dependable and scalable web applications.
We’re going to upgrade CKEditor 4 to CKEditor 5 – One popular rich-text editor that lets users shape and style information without knowing HTML code is called CKEditor. The CKEditor version 4 will be upgraded to version 5 in Drupal 10. CKEditor 5 provides numerous advantages over its predecessor, including improved accessibility, improved performance, and a more modern and user-friendly interface.
The modularity of CKEditor 5 is one of its key advantages. This implies that you can quickly add or remove features from the editor to suit your own needs. More plugins are available for CKEditor 5 than for CKEditor 4, which increases capability and versatility.
The enhanced interoperability of CKEditor 5 with mobile devices is another significant benefit. Because the new editor is optimized for touchscreens and mobile devices, it makes it easier for users to create and update content while on the go.
Drupal 7 to 10 Migration
Drupal 7 was scheduled to end of support in November 2021, before COVID-19. The pandemic’s consequences on businesses prompted an extension of the deadline to November 2022 to allow for revisions. Drupal 7 is currently set to end of life in November 2023, however, by July 2023, a new announcement on whether or not community support will be extended again is expected.
- Make sure you have an architecture for your content.
- If you have a significant amount of content that has to be migrated, be sure it is both affordable and difficult to replicate.
It is advisable that you take some actions prior to the migration to ensure that everything will proceed according to plan and that the desired results are obtained.
When migrating from Drupal 7, configuration and content entities are moved from the source site to a new Drupal site.
Even if the upgrade makes no changes to the source site, it is not recommended to contemplate performing it on a live site. It is a good idea to use a backup of your live site to ensure a consistent database state (no writes to the database during the migration) and to avoid any negative effects on the live site’s performance.
This is the to-do list for anyone thinking about moving from Drupal 7 to Drupal 10:
- Locate a reliable and experienced Drupal partner to help you seamlessly transition from Drupal 7 to Drupal.
- If you are still using Drupal 8, you should upgrade to Drupal 9 as soon as feasible. Prior to Drupal 8 EOL
- Verify that the most recent (latest available) version of Drupal 9 is installed.
- Deprecations have been removed from all of your contributed projects to support Drupal 10.
- This will ensure compatibility with all libraries, components, and PHP versions that have been released recently (because Drupal 10 will deprecate their previous versions).
- You can use this to access Drupal 10 with just a simple core upgrade.
- Check that the data has been allocated to the fields correctly.
- Make that all of the data has been transferred.
Drupal 9 to 10 Upgrade
The upgrade from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10 will go more smoothly because there are fewer minor versions and faster iterations. The upgrade process will be identical to that of updating to Drupal 9. Drupal 10 must be compatible with the contributed modules, and the core has to be upgraded by specialists. Additionally, the updated code must be deprecated. While it is possible to migrate from any version of Drupal 9 to Drupal 10, it is still advised to do so after updating to the most recent version of Drupal 9 in order to reduce the likelihood of the site malfunctioning.
Following the D9 to D10 upgrade, the “rector” module will provide you with a report.
analyzes the entire code and provides us with details about deprecated functions or code in custom and contrib modules, which will help you fix or make it compliant with the most recent version of the system.
- ensuring that the database is backed up
- confirming that PHP is up to date on your system
- recognizing obsolete codes using programs like PHP code sniffer, rector, etc.
- updating the modules for contrib.
Here is a checklist to help you upgrade from Drupal 9 to Drupal 10.
- Consult with experts who can help you through the entire process when you check-in.
- Make a backup of your website; this is an essential step when switching from your current Drupal version to any other version.
- Drupal Upgrade Install Status can help you determine whether your system is compatible with Drupal 10 and whether your website is ready for the upgrade.
- Manage > Reports > Updating If contributed modules need to be upgraded, the status should be used to make that determination.
- Determine whether APIs are out of date so you can fix them in your own code; skipping this step could make your website more likely to malfunction.
- To ensure that all deprecated APIs are accessible, use the most recent version of Drupal 9.
- Use Drupal Rector to automatically fix a wide range of issues with your custom code.
- You can utilize the Drupal Project Update Bot to get help with any issues.
Perform both functional and non-functional regression testing to confirm that all system components are operating as intended and to make sure there are no bugs in the code.
Problems that may arise during migration and strategies to assist them
1. Migration Failure: The data may not have been in the correct format during the D7 to D9/10 migration.
Data may not be in the correct format during the Drupal 7 to Drupal 9/10 migration process for a number of reasons, including deprecated modules, unsupported code, and customizations. This can lead to a migration failure, and the website might stop working properly. The actions listed below can assist in resolving this matter:
- Verify the source data: Make sure the source data is correct and in the right format before beginning the migration process.
- Repair outdated code and obsolete modules: In the Drupal 7 site, look for out-of-date modules and unsupported code. Replace them with the appropriate versions.
- Employ a migrating tool: To move data from Drupal 7 to Drupal 9/10, use a migration tool such as the Drupal Migrate module.
- Test and validate: Make sure everything is working as it should by carefully testing and validating the website after the migration.
2. Modifications to planning and architecture during migration
During the migration process, there may occasionally be changes made to the website’s architecture and planning, which could cause problems. Numerous factors, such as changing demands, unforeseen challenges, or new opportunities, could cause this.
The actions listed below can assist in resolving this matter:
- Examine the modification: Examine the modification and ascertain its effect on the migration procedure.
- Redesign the plan for migration: Redesign the plan for migration to account for the altered architecture and planning.
- Stakeholder communication: Inform stakeholders of the change and how it will affect the migration process.
- Reassess the budget and schedule: To make sure the modification can be implemented within the project’s limitations, reassess the migration process’s budget and schedule.
- After the migration, make sure everything is working as it should with the changed architecture and planning by carefully testing and validating the website.
Drupal is the foundation upon which many large companies build their audience outreach skills. Its feature-rich modules can help create unique digital experiences even though it’s open-source. Furthermore, regular upgrades with new functionality for the CMS are ensured via the Drupal 10 Readiness Initiative.
Visitors to the site may find a number of improvements brought about by the upgrading to Drupal 10. For a seamless transition, companies must communicate with migration experts.
Moreover, if you are looking for a Drupal development company, that can help you with Drupal Migration, then you should check out Appic Softwares. We have an experienced team of Drupal developers who can help you with migration and upgradation.
You can even hire dedicated Drupal developers from us for your project and let them handle your Drupal software.
So, what are you waiting for?